Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Setting

In the book "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twan, I do not think he develops the setting as though it is a character. This is shown in the way it describes the environment such as when Mark says, "the walls of all the rooms was plastered and most had carpets on the floor, and the whole house was whitewashed on the outside"(104). This shows that he doesn't use much imagery to physically develop his setting. For the Emotional attachments to the setting Mark Twan puts few such as when tom sawyer shows them the secret cave. This may show that everyone keeps secrets just as the world does but, still doesn't develop the setting as much as his characters.

6 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I feel that Mark Twain was in no way, shape, or form making the setting so defined that it was another character in this story. Mark Twain simply provided enough vivid imagery and details in his story that you can picture everything so well. He may comment on how the setting effects the characters and their emotions however, the setting itself has nothing to feel nor does it give off any emotions, or any other character qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The defination of character is the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing,according to dictionary.com, and Mark Twain does devolp the setting as a character.
    P.S. Melo-Dramatic 5, I'm not going to every post you comment on, and attacking you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree in the sense that Huck has no emotional attahment to the setting, Its harder to be emotionally attached to a place than it is to a person/character i agree with that statement. But i disagree because I personally believe that the setting is like another character in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". The way Mark Twain uses the setting as a guide and as a helper it reminds me of having a friend by your side and helping you on your journey, I really feel as if Mark is trying to create the sense of another character being there with you throughout the entire novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, you're silly and you're wrong. I believe Mark Twain develops the setting into it's very own character throughout the book with his thorough explanation of Huck's surroundings and whats going on. Such as the river and it basically being their living and means of travel. The environment is what they're living off of. Mother nature is the character and she is being developed in many different ways, being forgiving when the weather is nice and things are favorable and being ruthless through brutal storms. So therefore I believe Mr. Twain has done a spectacular job of developing the setting as a character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ineda- I feel like this post is an indication that you aren't that far in the book yet. It seems that you've missed the most significant setting, the river. You are talking about Ms. Watson's house and the cave, but they are not the major setting of the novel. Are you behind in your reading?
    __________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ anoice- Awesome statement, "Mother nature is the character and she is being developed in many different ways..."! Love it!!!
    __________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete