Wednesday, February 9, 2011

martens-huckfinn

I think that Mark Twain does a good job with the setting in this story. He explains where Huck is and about the scenery. When Huck was on the island Twain helped describe the places Huck hid when the whole town was looking for him. The setting can almost act as a character because of the was it's described and how it helps Huck along the way. " I laid there in the grass and the cool shade thinking about things, and feeling rested and ruther comfortable and satisfied. I could see the sun out at one or two holes, but mostly it was a big tree all about, and gloomy in there amongst them" (36). I think that how Huck explained where he was on the island made it seem as nothing could go wrong, and the tree acted as a blanket of comfort as he layed there in the shade.

4 comments:

  1. i would like to agree with this post. When i read this i felt the same exact way. I believed that he was showing the way huck was feeling at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinion that Mark Twain creates a good setting in the book. On the other hand,setting is not just limited to habitat, but also surroundings and environment. The setting of "The Adventures of Huck Finn," is not just where Huck has been, but also the time which he is living in. It is a time of racism and hardship and that is what defines the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree mark Twain does do a good job with the setting in the story. y how he gives such vivid detail as if you weree there. And I like how you put that the setting helped Huck along the way because I see where your coming from and I too think that the setting is just like a character because of the fact that it helped huck throughout the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ cookiemonster- I'd like to see a little more explanation from you. I think I know where you were headed with this, but I can't be sure because you didn't see it all the way through! Good start though! This is not a bad answer.
    __________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete