Tuesday, February 15, 2011
The most prominent theme in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is racism. When Jim and Huck are experiencing their adventures together, Huck states, "Miss Watson, your runaway nigger Jim is down here two mile below Pikesville, and Mr.Phelps has got him and he will give him up for the reward if you send."(213). Huck does not actually tell Miss Watson this, but he wishes he could because his conscience is telling him that running away with Jim was a bad idea. In present times, we see this as a heroic deed, but Huck saw it as sin. When Jim sees a run away slave begging for money he says, "I wonder if Uncle Silas is going to hang this nigger. If I was to catch a nigger that was ungrateful enough to run away, I wouldn't give him up, I'd hang him."(237). This demonstrates the main theme of racism in the book because even Jim is confident that they will hang this run away slave that is begging for money. As a run away slave himself, one would think that Jim would have sympathy for this man, but he shows none.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment